We know everyone is feeling a little more worry and stress right now, with all that is going on. Remember, one of the best things we can do at this time and all through the year is to keep our immune system strong, healthy and ready to fight whatever comes its way! We can boost our immune system by eating the right foods, getting enough exercise and rest and limiting smoking and drinking.
Here are some foods you want to be sure to include to boost immunity:
- Vitamin C- Load up on vitamin C to help the body fight infections. Taking a vitamin c supplement is fine, however eating the right foods are always the best source. Vitamin C packed foods include Oranges, Tangerines, Grapefruits, Lemons and Limes, Red Peppers, Papayas and Kiwi
- Broccoli and Spinach– Both of these great greens are loaded with anti-oxidants, such as Vitamin E and Vitamin A, as well as other nutrients. It is best to eat these vegetables raw or cooked as little as possible. They both are great in salad
- Garlic- Garlic has been shown to help reduce blood pressure as well as boost immunity by fighting infection. What dish couldn’t use a little garlic?
- Ginger and Turmeric– Both spices have anti-inflammatory properties which helps the body during inflammatory illnesses. Ginger can also be used to ease nausea
- Yogurt- Yogurt is a good source of Vitamin D and is loaded with “good bacteria” which can help our immune system fight off diseases
- Almonds and Sunflower Seeds– these tasty snacks are loaded with Vitamin E, that super anti-oxidant. Anti-oxidants work to protect our cells from diseases. Vitamin E plays an important role in maintain our immune system
- Chicken and Turkey– Poultry is high in Vitamin B-6 which helps to form new and healthy red blood cells. A small 3-ounce portion gives you 50% of your recommended daily intake of B-6. So that’s why you feel better when you have Chicken Soup!
- Green Tea– Both Green and Black Tea are good for the immune system, but Green Tea is another super anti-oxidant.
- Lobster and Crab– Shellfish is not usually the first thought when you have a cold, but they are high in Zinc. Zinc is a great immunity booster and can help in wound healing.