Broccoli Bites with Cashew Alfredo Dipping Sauce
Author: Food and Nutrition
Serves: 8 servings
Cashew Alfredo Dipping Sauce
- 1 cup whole raw cashews
- 1 cup (240 milliliters) unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) fresh-squeezed lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, finely ground
- 2 cups broccoli florets, diced
- 1 can (15½ ounces) low-sodium chickpeas, drained
- ¼cup, plus ⅓cup parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup sweet onion, diced
- 2 whole eggs
- ¼ cup ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup plum tomatoes, diced (about 3-4 tomatoes)
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes soaked in olive oil, diced
- Make the cashew alfredo dipping sauce by placing cashews, almond milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, garlic, nutmeg and black pepper into a blender and puree until smooth. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides of the blender, pour mixture into a bowl, cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Make broccoli bites by placing broccoli into blender or food processor and pulsing until fine. Transfer into a large bowl. Pour chickpeas into blender or food processor and pulse until almost smooth with a slightly chunky texture. Transfer chickpeas to the bowl with broccoli. Add ¼ cup parsley and onion to the bowl with broccoli and chickpeas. In a separate small bowl, whisk eggs until combined, then pour over the broccoli-chickpea mixture. With clean hands, knead the mixture until all ingredients are combined and moist.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cornmeal over the mixture and knead until combined. Add another tablespoon and knead; repeat until all cornmeal is incorporated.
- Use a spoon to scoop about 3 tablespoons of the mixture, gently form a ball about 1½ inches in diameter and place onto a nonstick baking sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes. Use spatula to transfer fritters to a serving dish. Garnish with remaining ⅓ cup chopped parsley, fresh tomato and sundried tomatoes, and serve with dipping sauce.
Serving size: 3 fritters and 1½ tablespoons dipping sauce Calories: 202 Fat: 12g Saturated fat: 2g Unsaturated fat: 10g Carbohydrates: 18g Sugar: 3g Sodium: 107mg Fiber: 4g Protein: 9g