Slow Cooker Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes
Author: Teaspoon of Spice
- 1 small onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 sweet potatoes (about 1½ pounds) unpeeled, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 4 chicken thighs (about 1 pound of boneless chicken, 1½ pound of bone-in meat) for better flavor bone-in is preferred
- ½ cup coconut milk (full-fat is fine)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 4-6 teaspoons curry powder
- To serve: Cooked brown rice
- Optional toppings: Frozen peas thawed, fresh parsley or cilantro, plain Greek yogurt
- Coat inside of slow cooker with cooking spray or rub with oil. Add onions and sweet potatoes.
- If chicken has skin-on, remove skin. Cut each chicken thigh in half; one half will have a bone the other half will not. Lay chicken on top of sweet potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine coconut milk, orange juice, salt and curry powder. Pour over chicken. Cover and cook 3.5-4 hours on HIGH or 6-8 hours on LOW.
- To serve, remove chicken and shred (or keep chicken on bone if your family likes it that way.) Stir rice into slow cooker to thicken the curry.